Current job offers at GERICS
Senior Scientist (m/f)
code no. 2017/CS 7
The place of employment is Hamburg.
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht in Geesthacht, near Hamburg, and in Teltow, near Berlin, conducts materials and coastal research. You can find more information at http://www.hzg.de.
The Climate Service Center Germany (GERICS), a scientific organizational entity of the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht, Centre for Materials and Coastal Research, invites applications for a Senior Scientist (m/f), as soon as possible, as part of the BMBF-project ViWa (VirtualWaterValues). Aim of ViWa is to provide information from the local to the global scale in order to develop praxis-relevant solutions for the efficient and sustainable use of the global water resources. Within ViWa a multi-disciplinary monitoring and modelling framework will be developed and applied. GERICS contributes to ViWa by providing high-resolution global-scale climate information using a multi-domain downscaling approach as well as by sophisticated analyses of natural climate variability effecting global water resources.
The position is a part time job (75%) and limited to the 30th of April 2020, which is the scheduled end of the ViWa-project.
Areas of responsibilities:
- design and conduct a set of high-resolution climate simulations with the regional climate model REMO over multiple domains based on the experiences of the CORDEX activity
- conduct an in-depth analysis of the downscaled simulations with respect to the evaluation of the model skill compared to observations as well as with respect to natural climate variability
- deliver climate model data and derived information of analysis to the project partners as input for subsequent modelling activities and data analysis conducted by the partners in the ViWa consortia
- contribute to project meetings, project reports and project management
- compile scientific and technical publications of the findings of the different areas in related international peer-reviewed research journals
Profile of qualifications:
- a university degree in meteorology, physics, maths or other related disciplines in natural sciences and earth science is essential
- extensive experience in the field of regional or global modelling of the climate or Earth system, preferably experience the CORDEX activity
- extensive experience in using high-performance computing facilities
- familiarity with the analysis of data sets from climate models, excellent knowledge of the programming language Fortran, profound knowledge in appropriate programming languages such as Python and R and experience with Linux/Unix computer environments
- experience in communicating scientific results to scientists
- experience in contributing (scientifically and organizationally) to research projects and networks
- excellent written and oral communication skills in German and English, as well as a record of peer reviewed publications in order to demonstrate the skill to publish the work in scientific journals
- willingness to work in an international and interdisciplinary team at the Climate Service Center Germany, interest beyond the pure scientific analysis of data and processes is expected as the focus of our center is on the provision of decision making knowledge
Informal enquiries can be directed to
We offer an appropriate salary related to TV-AVH as well as the usual public sector social benefits. The advancement of equality at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is an integral part of the centre's policies; in particular, we are striving to increase the percentage of women in science. Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Please send your application indicating job offer code-no. 2017/CS 7 including your CV, description of your scientific expertise, publication list, copies of credentials including grades, and names and addresses of three academic referees preferably by e-mail in one file not larger than 10 MB to
Closing date for application is July 5th, 2017.