Stellenangebote bei GERICS
The Climate Service Center Germany (GERICS), a scientific organizational entity of the Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon, located in Hamburg, invites applications for a Scientific Officer. The position is available immediately and limited to 24 months.
Equal opportunity is an important part of our personnel policy. In principle, the position is also sharable.
GERICS develops science based prototype products and services in support to government, administration and business in their efforts to adapt to climate change. It builds up a national and international network structure in order to integrate existing competences and knowledge, and to link various actors within the complex area of climate change.
The candidate will support the scientific and administrative activities of the Earth League. The Earth League, a voluntary alliance of leading scientists and institutions working on planetary processes and sustainability issues, was established to address current challenges and opportunities related to the future of our planet. The Earth League assesses and synthesizes existing information, conducts research to fill critical gaps in our knowledge, and communicates its findings to decision makers and other stakeholders.
Activities of the Earth League include, among others, scientific publications that highlight issues related to the global challenge of climate change and with a solution-oriented view. The Earth League also aims to launch a new round of its early-career programme which supports outstanding young scientists, giving them the opportunity to pursue research endeavours at the forefront of science.
As co-host of the Earth League secretariat, GERICS is looking for a Scientific Officer who is eager to support the Earth League members in their scientific and administrative activities. The Scientific Officer will work closely together with colleagues based at Arizona State University in the USA, among others.
- Support the Earth League members in identifying topics and realising Earth League scientific publications, within the Earth League and with partners
- Support the publication process through coordinating, writing, and editorial work
- Coordinate and facilitate the collaboration and communication between the Earth League members, the Earth League secretariat, and the Earth League Co-Chairs
- Organise and manage regular meetings, including remote meeting formats and annual to bi-annual meeting conferences, with scientific symposia associated
Informal enquiries can be directed to
- A relevant scientific background and a PhD, preferably in Earth System Science, Environmental Sciences, Geography, Socio-Economics, Sustainability, Communication, or a similar field
- Experience in writing and publishing scientific papers
- At least 3 years of experience in management of projects and in the coordination of scientific work
- Proficiency in English
- Transdisciplinary experience is an asset
- The candidate should be highly motivated, proactive, self-reliant, assertive, and possess excellent time management
- Team worker qualities with good interpersonal skills
- Interest in transferring knowledge to decision makers
- Experience in fundraising is an asset
We offer you:
- An exciting and varied job in a research centre with more than 1,100 employees from around 50 nations
- A well connected research campus and best networking opportunities
- Individual opportunities for further training
- Social benefits according to the collective agreement of the public service and remuneration
- An excellent technical infrastructure and modern workplace equipment
- 6 weeks holiday per year and company holidays between Christmas and New Year's Day
- Very good compatibility private and professional life through offers of mobile and flexible work
- Free assistance program for employees (EAP)
- Corporate Benefits
- Office location in the heart of the city of Hamburg in the historic Chilehaus
Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Then we are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents (cover letter, CV, transcripts, certificates etc.) indicating the reference number code no. 2023/KG 8 until 01.10.2023.